McHugh wildfire caused by campfire
July 28, 2016
By Joaqlin Estus
The McHugh wildfire was caused by a smoldering campfire. That's according to a Department of Natural Resources (DNR) statement issued today [Thursday]. The campfire was deep in a ravine little used by hikers.
The 778-acre blaze came to within a mile of two housing subdivisions south of Anchorage. Thanks in part to steady rain and natural barriers, firefighters got the blaze under control nine days after its start on July 16, 2016. DNR recommends that before leaving a campfire unattended, make sure it's completely out by dousing it with water, stirring the remains, and dousing again until there's no heat.